Tuesday, May 12, 2009

They Called Me White Jesus

They Called Me White Jesus - I was a legend… now I’m something more
By Bill Rieser
Published at Moody Publishers

What the book is all about?

A star high school basketball player in New York City, Bill Rieser fully expected to play in the NBA. But after a serious knee injury and clashes with a coach derailed his college career, Rieser descended into a self-destructive lifestyle of drinking, drug abuse, gambling, and womanizing. He could have been just another washed-up playground legend, until he found his life turned around by an encounter with God.

Once known for his 44-inch leap, Rieser is still looking up these days, and his vertical now reaches higher than he could ever have imagined.

Who is Bill Rieser?
Bill Rieser is a former New York streetball legend who played for Eastern Kentucky University. Bill Rieser now serves as director of recovery ministries at Heartland Community Church outside Chicago. Bill also have a blog - you can find him at http://theycalledmewhitejesus.blogspot.com/.

My thoughts on the book
I must admit that the beginning of the book is a little bit overwhelming. But as the testimony of Bill is given throughout the book, you see how God brought him out of destruction and into life. You learn how much Bill went through during his years growing up in New York, how he became a Christian and how God took care of his and his family needs. I’m amazed on how some of his prayers were answered – people approaching him with the exact money he needed at various time in his life.

At one point, Bill says that when you have faith for something it will happen. I am particularly careful with that kind of statement because sometimes God’s answer can be a simple no for something that we ask for. But beyond that, I say the book is very interesting. It is always very refreshing to read about someone else’s testimony and how God worked in his/hers life.
If you want to see how God worked in Bill’s life, please take the time to read this book.

The book is available in every bookstore. In Canada, you can find it at amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your book review, CanadianLadyBug! As Bill's wife, I can say that we certainly appreciate your telling others about the book.
    There is one statement in the review I would like to clarify, if I may,
    "At one point, Bill says that when you have faith for something it will happen. I am particularly careful with that kind of statement because sometimes God’s answer can be a simple no for something that we ask for."
    Bill and I could not agree more that God does sometimes answer no. While we believe that faith in God's grace, goodness and power CAN make anything possible, that is not always the case if it is not in God's will. I think the key component here would be abiding in God and knowing that He is sovereign. When we believe and accept that, our faith is in Him, whether He answers yes, no, or not yet. Bill's intent was to encourage people to have faith in God, not in what they are asking for. Thanks so much for allowing me to expand upon that. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Carolynn. Maybe I should have explained it more. Thanks for the clarification.

    We are experiencing the not yet answer these days and sometimes it is hard to see what His plans are. But we persevere. Thanks for putting a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog! Scrolling down to your previous posts, I see that you got to see the ballet live--wonderful!! Were you at the Port Colburn performance or a different one?

    ReplyDelete