Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homeschooling For The Rest Of Us

Homeschooling For The Rest Of Us – How Your One-of-a-Kind Family Can Make Homeschooling and Real Life Work
Written by Sonya Haskin
Published at Bethany House

About the book
Overwhelmed?
Wonder how others do it all?
Not sure you're cut out for homeschooling?

It's time to break a myth: Homeschooling families aren't perfect. In fact, real-life families like yours can be--and are--successful homeschoolers! That's the life message of Sonya Haskins, who is dedicated to helping everyday families meet the challenges of home education and enjoy its countless benefits.

In this practical, encouraging guide, Haskins shares tried and true ideas for how to:

• Discover a realistic vision of homeschooling for your family
• Help your child get excited about learning
• Find a routine that fits your goals and lifestyle
• Nurture a biblical worldview in your child's heart and mind
• And much more

Whether you are already homeschooling or just considering it, this book offers the support, answers, and flexible strategies to help you succeed.

Who is Sonya Haskin?
Sonya Haskins is a veteran homeschooling mom of five children and an active homeschooling consultant and advocate. She is the author of several books, including The Homeschooler's Book of Lists, and her articles have appeared in Homeschooling Today, Guideposts for Teens, and other magazines. She has served in leadership positions for the homeschooling community on a local, regional, and state level. Sonya and her husband have been foster parents for several years, hosting more than sixty children in their home in northeastern Tennessee. For more information, visit http://www.thehomeschooladvocate.com/.

My Thoughts
I am an homeschooling mom. And I find it important to read books about homeschooling every once in a while to remind yourself the reasons why you have embarked in such an adventure. Because homeschooling is indeed an adventure. It is a choice, a lifestyle that makes a big difference in the lives of our kids and in ours.

So when I had the opportunity of reviewing the book Homeschool For The Rest Of Us I was curious about it. And honestly, I was starting to have doubts and be discouraged at times about it. So I read it cover to cover. I LOVED it and would highly recommend it to anyone considering homeschooling or for anyone who goes through a discouraging phase in their homeschool.

The chapters have specific theme attached to them. You will go through developing positive relationships, socialization question (haven’t we all got that one!), the routines and importance of schedules (okay I admit it – I lack on this one and need to change...), extracurricular activities, support groups and co-ops, nurturing the heart of your kids, living in a messy house, dealing with relatives, homeschooling on a budget (our reality right now), special needs, and more.

I particularly enjoyed the routines and schedules because I feel that I have a lack or organization on this part. I think I will have to come up with a better system next year to reduce the stress that I get by January. And I love it to be reminded that a messy house is okay. I mean for me homeschooling comes first. But these days I am recruiting my own kids to help with some aspects of getting the house cleaner. My two oldest boys can pass the vacuum, empty the dishwasher and help the younger ones to pick up the toys. My older son even helped me do the washing when I had surgery back in November 2008. This is part of the school as it all enters in Home Economics!

The only chapter that I think should have been more detailed is the one about homeschooling a special need kid. It would have been interesting to get some websites where parents can go and see how it can be done. Even thought there is interesting information in this chapter, I would suggest parents of special need kids to search for another book or source of information on how to homeschool their child.

This review was possible because I received a copy of Homeschooling For The Rest Of Us from Bethany House.

Homeschooling For The Rest Of Us is available at a bookstore near you even at amazon.ca or indigo.ca.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I requested this one, but didn't receive it. We have another of Sonya's books - The Homeschoolers Book of Lists. Ashley reviewed it for her when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete