Friday, April 9, 2010

How Do You Tuck In a Superhero?

How Do You Tuck In a Superhero? And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys

Written by Rachel Balducci
Published at Revell

About the book
When Rachel Balducci looks for material for her writing, she doesn't have to look far. Her subject matter can be found climbing through the window, hanging on to the edge of the roof, and rummaging through the refrigerator. Here she chronicles the exuberant, awesome life of boys through bizarre conversations overheard, unbelievable rules she's been forced to make, and the many episodes of boy behavior that continue to mystify mothers worldwide. From the care and feeding of her team, to travels out in public, to their wide-eyed adoration of Chuck Norris, this laugh-out-loud celebration joyfully explores the sweetly wild side of boyhood.

Who is Rachel Balducci?
Rachel Balducci is a writer and the mother of five lively boys. Her website, www.testosterhome.net, has been nominated for several awards. Rachel is a former staff writer for the Augusta Chronicle and has been published in numerous magazines, including Good Housekeeping, Faith and Family, and The Word Among Us. http://www.testosterhome.net/

My Thoughts
Boyhood and sibling rivalry was such a mystery for me before we had kids. First of all I don’t have siblings and second of all I always felt more comfortable being a leader of a group of girls than boys. Girls I could understand – boys? Not so much.

But God in his loving way decided to stretch my experiences and gave me three boys before we had the joy of having a little girl. And I love my boys. My girl too but boys are something special in a mother’s heart.

Boys and girls are different from birth. When my boys were crawling they would go for it. My daughter was gentler in her crawling stages. Boys love to climb everywhere and to take risks. They will create guns with anything that can come in their hands like it or not. They were born for this. Good thing I have read Wild at Heart before… *grin*

How Do You Tuck In a Superhero? will bring you in the life of the Balduccis. With five boys in the family, mom is sure to have plenty of stories to share with us. She has quite some experience with boys. As much as I like having insights for moms of multiple boys, I had this funny feeling while I was reading the book. I found that somehow the kids were the ones leading the family. I mean I don’t mind my boys climbing and trying new things but going to the point to let them climb on the roof and getting through a window that is a bit much for my taste.

Other stories are quite funny like the time the boys found ski masks in a store and decided to wear them while mom was driving around. They came across a fire truck and the firemen had a blast out of it – as well as the boys.

Not all stories will be appealing to the readers. I assume that some of the stories that I didn’t enjoy would be a blast for someone else while the one I loved wouldn’t be so good for another. But this book gives you a good insight of the life of a mom of five boys.

This review was possible because I received a copy of How Do You Tuck In a Superhero? From Graf-Martin.

How Do You Tuck In a Superhero? is available everywhere even at amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment