Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Blessing

_225_350_Book_442_coverThe Blessing – Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love and Acceptance
Written by John Trent & Gary Smalley
Published at Thomas Nelson

About the book

Every human needs the gift of "the blessing"—the unconditional love and approval that comes from a healthy relationship with one's parents. In this update to the best-selling classic The Blessing, coauthors John Trent and Gary Smalley offer a fresh perspective on this life-changing gift with solid, practical advice on how to lay a secure base of in each child's life.

The Blessing powerfully communicates biblical truths on how to instill self-worth and emotional well-being into others based on these five essential elements: meaningful touch, a spoken message, attaching high value, picturing a special future, and an active commitment.

No matter the age, the approval of our parents affects how we view ourselves and how we relate to others. So what if we've missed it? The final chapters include help and hope for those who grew up without their own parent's blessing, the blessing and grandparents, ways to live out the blessing, and ideas for blessing events.

Who are John Trent and Gary Smalley?

Dr. John Trent is president of StrongFamilies.com and founder of The Institute for the Blessing at Barclay College. John is a sought-after speaker and an award-winning author of more than twenty books, including six books for children. He has been a featured guest on numerous radio and television programs across the country and leads The Blessing Challenge, a joint partnership with Focus on the Family and StrongFamilies.com. John and his wife, Cindy, have been married for more than thirty years and have two grown daughters, Kari and Laura.

Dr. Gary Smalley, one of the foremost experts on family relationships, has written or cowritten more than sixty books and thirty-five videos, selling more than six million copies. He has more than forty years of experience as a teacher and counselor. A best-selling and award-winning author, Smalley has appeared on hundreds of local and national radio and television shows, including Oprah, Larry King Live, Fox & Friends, and NBC's Today. He and his wife, Norma, have been married more than forty five years and have three grown children, Kari, Greg, and Michael, all in full-time ministry.

My Thoughts

I have heard of The Blessing before through a Focus on the Family radio show.    I always thought that it would be good for me to read it and maybe discover what I might have missed while growing up.   When the opportunity arise for me to review this book, I didn’t hesitate one minute – I had to have it.  I didn’t even considered the possibility of receiving an ePub version of it, I needed to real book where I could write in it my thoughts and reflections.  What I didn’t expect though was the fact that this book would turn me upside-down.

I will be honest with you – I have not finished the book.  But the information in it is so life changing that I felt the need to share this jewel with my readers.   This book is definitively a book that many should have in their bookshelf and it is a keeper.    In my copy I am writing my answers to the pondering questions, I am reflecting on my past, I am scribbling notes on what I see my own parents didn’t have…. The book is becoming a journal of my journey through healing.   I am a mom now – I have four beautiful children and I want to give them what I didn’t have, The Blessing.    So slowly I am discovering my past, I cry, I reflect on what I am reading and wish it could have been different but in the end as I go through the chapters, I sense that God is helping me to change at the same time because of the healing process that has started.   I almost wished that I would have read this book a long time ago.  

My advice for those of you who will pick up this book, prepare to be moved and that your emotions will be very high.   Grab a Kleenex box next to you, talk to your spouse, be honest and real about your feelings.   Through the process of reading this book, you will be transformed – guaranteed.  I find myself taking more time to snuggle with my kids (I was doing it but not enough for my taste), speaking to them, encouraging them, showing them the love I have for each and every one of them…  Just as I was writing this review, my third son came out of his bedroom because his skin was itchy.  The poor thing has poison ivy so the past few days I have taken care of him quite a bit.    I love him dearly but he always find a way to push my buttons if you see what I mean.   Since I started reading The Blessing I find my attitude has change when I get irritated with him sometimes.  

This new edition will provide you multiple opportunities to get more “teaching” via the website setup for it – TheBlessing.com via videos.  You can also sign up for The Blessing Challenge that will be launched at the end of the summer.   I have signed up and can’t wait to start this challenge when it comes.   With the new school year coming, I plan to apply The Blessing in our daily routine for homeschool.

This book is a blessing in itself for me.   And to be honest I think it would be a blessing for anyone who will grab it to read it.   All I can say to the authors is this

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing The Blessing.   It is definitively a life-changing book for me and I intend to apply what I have learn for my husband and my kids and anyone who will come across my path in life. 

The Blessing is available at your favourite bookstore, even amazon.ca.

Disclaimer: Thanks to Thomas Nelson for sending me the featured product for review purpose. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment