Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Reflections on the past year

 Hard to believe it has been a year already...

What am I talking about?  Well a year ago I headed back to work after over 13 years of homeschooling my children.

The journey to find work started more than 2 years before that but it takes time now to get employment and I guess it was not the time to do so for me.   Besides 2019 was a year of grief and I needed healing in so many different ways.

Nevertheless 2020 started and I had some interviews.   In March, I was offered a position under contract at  one of the universities in town.  My start date was set to March 16.  

Was I nervous when this date arrived? You can bet I was...  so I drove to work in order to arrive for 8am.  I entered the building and went where I was suppose to go.   I wasn’t sure which door I needed to take but my supervisor came and asked me if I had received her message.  What message I asked?   Turns out that all employees were sent home because of the pandemic.  Most workplace in Ontario had to respect the new COVID restrictions of the province.   I stayed literally many a good 10 minutes.  I had to go back home.

Throughout the week, I attended virtual meeting, did online training, slowly set up my computer at home. It took about a week to have access to everything I needed.  My training for this position was done virtually.

Then a couple of months later, a coworker was going on maternity leave.  I decided to apply on the position because the salary was higher.  I got the position and was trained again virtually for 2 weeks before her maternity leave started.   For about 2 months I juggled the responsibilities of both positions until the new employee which was taking over the first position started in August.

Today, I am reflecting on the year of busyness as I call it.  These positions has brought a lot of activities in my daily work.   Not only do I have to work mostly from home but at times I do have to be on site for the learning activities of the students that I am managing.   COVID has thrown curve balls at us for scheduling and managing things but we have always found solutions for it.   The learning activities I am in charge had to be tweaked due to restrictions in the number of people allowed in the rooms where they are held but in the end we are trying very hard to make the learning be interesting to the students.

Today I celebrate my First year being at the university and I am in awe of the blessings the Lord had poured on our family.   One year ago, He has opened a door for me to get back on the market and to build up my confidence.  It has been an amazing year trusting Him in so many ways.  I am thankful for His presence in my life and His care for me and my family.   

I am not alone.  He is with me every day of the year - every single year  that goes by.

Have you trusted God lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment