Sunday, August 30, 2009

College Success begins at Home e-book

College Success begins at Home: Seasoned Homeschoolers Share Their Experiences
Published at The Old SchoolHouse
Before I start telling you about this e-book, I must be honest with you that I am far away from homeschooling a high schooler and preparing him/her for College. But I am the kind of person who likes to learn from others and plan in advance. And indeed I learned a lot while reading this specific e-book about College Success begins at Home. Honestly, I don’t consider myself a seasoned homeschooler – after all this will be my third year of homeschooling so I am far away from being seasoned. However, someone who is starting might think I know a lot about homeschooling. But I don’t especially when it comes to high school and beyond. Once again I got encourage by women who wrote about their experienced in homeschooling. Women, who probably I won’t meet in a near future, I hope that I will have the opportunity to thank them when we meet in Heaven someday. I got reminded that our standards were God’s standard and that we were called to homeschool in the first place. I got reminded that “everyone can start the race but to finish the race it takes character”. I read a good definition of parenting which includes teaching, mentoring and coaching. I learned about the variety of possibilities for high schoolers to be able to get some credits for college during their teen years. I got reminded of the important of teaching them to be able to stand firm and hold on their belief and talk about them. Good thing I attended the Truth Project about a year ago – we have now a good material to introduce world view in the curriculum when my kids are older. I learned the importance of effective writing and communication skills. I consider it even more important since we live in a city where government employment requires both official languages sometimes. I got introduced to the idea of having a special ceremony for your graduate. I know that our association do something similar for all the graduates in the city but I never really thought about having a more personal ceremony for my kids. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I also have an idea of what a transcript should look like for a homeschooler – I was a bit worried about it but not anymore. I know the importance of keeping track of what was done so I have a few years to get better at it and eventually pass the baton to my own kids. I took a lot of notes and underlined some interesting products to look into when we will be preparing our teenagers for College. I want my kids to be able to ask questions when they need to and know that they can learn at their own pace. I want to protect them from being influenced in the years where they might slip from God. The more I get introduce in the homeschooling part of high school, the more I like it. And I prepare myself slowly at discovering what products would be good for us in both official languages in Canada. Because we teach in French as well as in English, I need to dig more for curriculum in French. I am not worried about the English curriculum because there is a lot out there. So for now, I keep my eyes open for potential books for French writing and Grammar. In the meantime, I will enjoy the primary school years and have fun with my young kids… One thing I would like to see though in future ebook about high schoolers are stories from Canadians. I think it would be interesting to hear the adventures of homeschoolers from Canada in high school ages as well as college and beyond.
The e-book College Success begins at Home: Seasoned Homeschoolers Share Their Expriences is available for purchase and download at The Old Schoolhouse. You can also view a sample of the e-book.

No comments:

Post a Comment