Thursday, January 6, 2011

Barbie a Rare Beauty

RareBeauty_official1Barbie a Rare Beauty
Written by Sandi Holder – International Barbie Expert
Published at Krause Publications

About the book

This stunning book leads you on a remarkable journey through the creation and evolution of the original glamour girl. You'll discover what inspired Ruth Handler to develop the three-dimensional doll whose fashion sense changed with the times and also represented the attitude that a girl could do anything she put her mind to. Whether she was dressed to impress in her After Five fashion set with bubble cut do of the 1960s, groovin' in her swirled jumpsuit and faux suede fringe headband, or working for a living as a teacher, super hero, elite fashion designer, Barbie truly has "been there and done that", and you can see her in all these roles, and many more, in this one-of-a-kind book. Chapters include:

  • Introduction:Taking a Brand to Heart
  • Timeline: A Doll's Life
  • Handler Proves Women Have Choices
  • Barbie Takes a World View
  • Barbie Evolves Into a Collector Icon
  • Fashion Forward
  • A Rare Sight to SeePlus, much more.

Who is Sandi Holder?

She has more than 20 years of collecting experience and is one of the leading authorities on all things Barbie doll in the world, and is the owner of Sandi Holder's Doll Attic in California. Her business showcases some of the rarest and finest Barbie dolls and accessories ever found, and it was one of Holder's #1 Blond Ponytail Barbie dolls that sold for $25,000 at auction, which remains the highest price realized at auction for a Barbie doll. She has earned the honor of Mattel's Deal of the Year and is a past recipient of the prestigious Barbie's Best Friend Award.

My Thoughts

Which little girl didn’t have a Barbie doll when she was younger?   I sure had some (even an older one) and my maternal grandmother even knit some dresses, hats and bags  for my Barbies when I was younger (which I still have by the way – yes I am somewhat of a pack rat!).  

In 2007, we had a little girl and my husband bought the first Barbie after she was born on Dec 19th at the Disney store in town – Barbie Jasmine to 2010_12_16_09_01_41_0017be specific because our little girl’s name is Jasmine.  

In December 2010, we celebrated Jasmine 3rd birthday and more Barbies entered our household…   I even made a princess Barbie cake for my little princess!    

Barbie has been on the market for many years now and believe it or not there are tons of collectors all around the world.  

I remember having the winnebago and the catamaran when I was younger.    I even had a house as well.   Now my toys are long gone but I do have fond memories of playing with my Barbies!

Just before Christmas I stumble on a new book that is giving the history as well as presents Barbie through the years.    I received a copy to review and let me tell you that this book is interesting.   Just by looking at the pictures of the various Barbies that came since 1959 is breath taking.   You can see how much she has changed through the years and the various clothes she had since the years.

Going through this book is like taking a trip back in time.   Wow!   I can’t believe how much she has changed from when I was a kid.   I was born in 1969 and by the time I was ready to play with one, she had already changed a lot.   Seeing some of the pictures in this book brought back some memories…  I had the Growin’ Pretty Hair kit and LOVED the curly hair in the package.   I also had the kissing Barbie where you press on her back so she tilted her head to kiss.   It was so cute back them…  When I was older I was amazed at all the beautiful costumes she had as well.  I remember seeing the Christmas Barbies every year.    I remember the Star Trek Barbie and Ken, the BatGirl, the Wonder Woman….  I wonder why they never made a Princess Leia though.  Maybe because back when the  Star Wars movie came out there was one on the market already (bigger than Barbie though – I know I had one… *grin*).

The book definitively contains lots of information on Barbie.   It presents also Barbie through the years since 1959.   Keep in mind that this book do not contain all the different Barbies that were produced through the years (for example I have not seen the Barbie in a wheelchair in it) but you will have a good idea of what she looked like in the past 60 years or so.  Please see below to see what the book is all about!

Rare_Beauty_teaser

This book is a must-have for collectors and Barbie enthusiasts.   Barbie a Rare Beauty is available at your favourite bookstore, even at amazon.ca!

 

Disclaimer: Thanks to F+W Media for sending me the product for review purpose. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way.  All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment