Monday, June 8, 2009

Travelling to Netherlands in Wooden Shoes!

Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes
By Robin Jones Gunn
Published at WaterBrook
About the book
When a mammogram result comes back abnormal, midlife mama Summer Finley makes a snap decision to relegate fear to the back burner and fulfill a lifelong dream. Summer heads for Holland where she meets up with tulips, wooden shoes, and her best friend, Noelle.

Pen pals since fourth grade, Summer and Noelle have never met face-to-face. Through decades of heart-level correspondence, they have sustained a deep friendship. A week of adventure helps both women trade anxiety for a renewed and deeper trust in God. When Summer confides in Noelle about the abnormal medical report, Noelle finds the freedom to share a long-held heartache, and both women discover they needed each other more than they realized.

Women ages 35 and up, readers of Christian Boomer Lit, and fans of books such as The Yada Yada Prayer Group will enjoy Robin Jones Gunn’s humorous and uplifting style. True-to-life characters and moments of poignancy bring a deeper understanding of the value of life and the gift of true friends. Readers guide and bonus material included.

Who is Robin Jones Gunn?
Robin Jones Gunn is the best-selling and award-winning author of over seventy books, including the Glenbrooke, Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, Katie Weldon, and Christy and Todd: The College Years teen series. The Sisterchicks® series has sold more than 300,000 units, bringing her total sales to more than 3.5 million books worldwide. A Christy Award winner, Robin is a popular speaker, both at home and abroad, and is frequently interviewed on radio and on television.
http://www.robingunn.com/ http://www.sisterchicks.com/

My Thoughts
I am 100% hooked on the Sisterchicks series. I bought some a year ago in a clearance section at a Christian bookstore (got the three first ones for 6$ back then and since then I found # 4, 5 and 6 on sale too!) and I discovered an author that touches me in ways I didn’t expect. While I read these novels, not only do I get to travel with the characters to wherever they are going but I learn a lesson from God at the same time. Could you ask for more? I don’t think so.
Once again, I am moved by characters in my age group. And I’ve discovered another country that I would like to visit someday. Oh to see the tulip fields, get some wooden shoes, visit the Ten Boom Museum, discover Amsterdam and go to Delft which is known for the tiles made there…. This is the eight book in the series and I sure hope that Robin doesn’t stop there. So many more countries to visit – like Russia, Thailand, even Canada would be an interesting idea. How about some adventures in the Rockies or a trip in PEI? But that is up to the author obviously… *grin*

Every time you read a sisterchicks book you will get a lesson from God. This time it is about that no matter what the circumstances, God is close to us and we can have peace about it.
What I also like from this series is that you can find a reader’s guide at the end and use it for a book club. In this particular book, the author also explains how she got the idea for this siterchicks book and shows pictures of her own trip to Netherlands.
Now the only book I am missing in the series is the one about Britain. I definitively need to get that one to complete my collection… *grin* Britain here I come!
Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes is sold everywhere as well as on the net on amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment