Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Levi's Will


Levi’s Will

By W. Dale Cramer
Published at Bethany House

About the book
Dusk. An Amish farm in Ohio. Will's father doesn't recognize him at first--it's been eight years--so he holds a match up to Will's face to see him better. "I thought you were dead," Levi Mullet says, then blows out the match and walks away.

This is not how it's supposed to be. Where's the fatted calf? The party?

For years, Will has worked to overcome the ban of his father and the Old Order Amish community. Only now, when the life of his own son hangs in the balance, does he begin to see the truth--that love is the proof of God, and forgiveness the proof of love.

Levi's Will is the mesmerizing story of an Amishman seeking to build a bridge across three generations.

Who is W. Dale Cramer?
W. Dale Cramer is a husband, father, jack-of-all-trades, and author of the highly acclaimed novels Sutter's Cross and Bad Ground as well as several published works of short fiction. He and his wife and two sons make their home in northern Georgia.
http://www.dalecramer.com/

My Thoughts
This is another Amish novel that is a surprise to me. It contains drama that will crawl under your skin and makes you wonder on how families go through such rejection over so many years.

Throughout the book, you will be transported from the past to the present up until the end. Past. Present. Past. Present... with a glimpse to the future at the end.

I’ve seen it in my family. I am living it in a way. And it’s hard. I don’t know how a man would live it. But I know that for a woman it’s hard. Mind you it’s not the same kind of situation at I am not Amish and such but still. In my family’s history, there has been rejection and I myself has cut myself from my dad for a certain number of years but by God’s grace I was able to meet with my dad before he died back in 2000. Now, it’s different and still too painful to put it in words. But I trust that my God will help me to go through this time of pain and will help me to build up a bridge between me and that other person.

Reading and living the story of Will, helped me to realize that there is hope in every situation that involves relationships. Yes it might take time but God will strengthen us and help us to go through it.

When I arrived at the end of the book, I had not realized that there was a personal story hidden within the lines of this novel. And I was moved reading the afterword from the author. Yes the book is fictional but the main events surrounding the story were real – all too read for the author and his family.

I won’t give out the secret. I think it’s something that needs to be discovered while the reader travels through time with Levi’s Will. But I think that anyone who loves Amish novels will enjoy this wonderful book.

This review was possible because I received a copy of Levi’s Will from Bethany House.

Levi’s Will is available at your favourite bookstore even at amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment