Monday, May 2, 2011

Untamed

untamedUntamed - reactivating a missional form of discipleship
Written by Alan Hirsh and Debra Hirsh
Published at Baker Publishing

About the book

It's time to get serious about discipleship.

In this provocative and compelling book, internationally known missiologists Alan and Debra Hirsch cast a dynamic vision of mission-shaped discipleship. Untamed exposes the idolatrous clutter that fills our lives and seeks to recapture what it means to be authentic followers of Jesus. Each chapter ends with suggested practices to help you start living out the book's principles, as well as questions for group discussion.

Who are Alan and Debra Hirsh?

Alan Hirsch is founding director of Forge Mission Training Network and cofounder of Shapevine.com, an international forum for engaging with world-transforming ideas. Currently he leads an innovative learning program called Future Travelers which helps megachurches become missional movements. He is the author of numerous books, including The Forgotten Ways, and coauthor of Untamed and Right Here, Right Now. Hirsch lives in the Los Angeles area.

Debra Hirsch is a minister at Tribe of LA, an eclectic bunch of missional artists and vagabonds in downtown LA. She is also on the leadership team of Christian Associates International, a church-planting agency working on three continents.

My Thoughts

I don’t know what to think.  I have heard of Alan Hirsh and knew he was a great speaker.  My husband was interested in having more books of him.   So I requested this book a while ago.   Then I forgot about it…. 

Recently, I saw it on the shelf and knew I had to read it to review.   Since then I am trying to go through it.    Unfortunately, as much as I like the idea behind the book, I find it hard to read.   I guess I am not in the mode to read heavy materials these days.  

*sigh*

Don’t take me wrong, I want to have a stronger relationship with God.   But somehow this book is just not talking to me at the present time.

The book is divided in four sections

  • the untamed god
  • the untamed culture
  • the untamed self
  • the untamed mission

The book is a little bit too philosophical for my taste.   I had trouble getting into it and still need to racked my brain around some of the terminology used in it.    The book sounds interesting by the title and the description of it but it just can’t seems to grab my attention.    Throughout the book you will also find some little illustrations that will help you understand what the authors are saying.   Mind you I find some of these illustrations a little bit distasteful.  

Mind you, it’s not because this book hasn’t grasp my attention that it isn’t good.   I know that many people would enjoy reading this book from Alan Hirsch.    Unfortunately it won’t be me.  Sad smile

Untamed is available at your favourite bookstore, even amazon.ca.

Disclaimer: This review was possible because the book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment