Sunday, March 22, 2009

Missing Link: Found - a review for a book written for teenagers


The novel I am reviewing for you is a publication from Media Angels, Inc. This is a publishing company which is dedicated to gives homeschoolers quality materials on the topic of Creation Science. They also publish a series of action-adventure mystery novels for teens. Media Angels had some of their books being selected by Cathy Duffy’s 100 picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

The book I received to review with the TOS Homeschool Crew is the first book of the Truth Seekers Mystery Series, The Missing Link: FOUND. Written by Christina and Felice Gerwitz, a mother-and-daughter team, this novel is jammed with action and mystery. Christina was 1 when she approached her mom because she wanted to write a novel. Her mom told her that they didn’t know how to write novels but her reasoning was “We’re homeschoolers, we can learn how!” I love that kind of thinking coming from a child… I imagine that the process of researching and writing took a little while because Christina was 17 years old when she completed the writing of this novel.

The action starts really fast in this little novel right from chapter 1. This novel is fast pace and you can get attached to it really fast. If it catches the interest of your teen, don’t be surprised that it gets read in one setting. I wish I would have been able to do that but as a mom and homeschooler I couldn’t afford this…

I think there is a good presentation of the Creation Science versus the Evolution Science as well as the Carbon 14 age dating process and how an archeological discovery is dealt with. It is written simply so that we can get a rough idea on how things are done when some artifacts are discovered. I learned quite a bit personally when I was reading the novel. I even had to go back and re-read some sections to make sure I understood the process. I like to know how things are done and I got a lot of information on archeology and Carbon 14. Very interesting!
However, there was a comment in the book while the characters are talking about shark teeth that made me curious… I had to verify if it was true or not. In the book, one of the character mention that “A shark can go through 20,000 teeth in a year.” Well this got me VERY curious. So I went on the internet and Google this comment. Turns out that there is an error in the book… It should read 20,000 in a lifetime… The co-author told me that a correction will be put on Media Angels website. Also, I have noticed some editing mistakes that even some well-known authors do sometimes… Nothing that is too much important from my point of view.

The series has currently 3 books with a 4th one coming out soon. Personally, I would like to get the other books from this series. You can see there has been quite some research done when the authors wrote it. This series is considered a youth fiction and I think it is always good to have good novels written for teenagers. I wouldn’t hesitate to put this book in my children hands when they reach the age of reading it… The Truth Seekers Mystery Series are full of information and jammed with adventure. Get your hands on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment