Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A to Z of Gratitude–Letter T

t

T is for Testimony.

Revelation 12:11 says

They overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.

Today I decided to share my testimony with you.

I received the Lord as my Saviour in January 1997.   I attended Sunnyside Wesleyan Church in Ottawa back then.   Before I became a Christian, I considered myself a Catholic.  I was baptized nine days after my birth back in 1969, had my first communion and confirmation during my youth and I even owned a picture Bible.   My family did not attend church regularly, mostly during Easter and Christmas or when we were visiting my maternal grand-mother for the week-end.   So I grew up not really enjoying going to church because I found it boring.   I remember a guy in high school who was really involved going to church and back then he was teased a lot by the other teenagers.  I didn’t realize it then but there was something different about him.   I found out many years later that he realized his dream of becoming a priest and even teach in the College at the Vatican now!   I am happy for him because I know that he really chose his path and followed it.   I realize I felt the same way about my grand-mother who was going to church regularly but I never really understood why until I became a Christian.

I guess in a way I was always attracted by religion or I should say the Bible and Jesus.   I remember reading my picture Bible when I was young as well as watching Jesus of Nazareth on TV many times in my youth.   I even bought a new Bible when I was in university but every time I opened it to read I found it too difficult to understand.   I went through my university studies and got a job opportunity in June 1996 in Ottawa.

Between June to October 1996, I was really lonely.  I spend most of my week-ends in Montreal and my weeknights where spent surfing the internet.   I didn’t have any friends and I felt home sick.   A co-worker invited me to come to Sunnyside in late 1996.   I was able to meet new people and to make some friends.   Christmas came along and I went to Montreal for the holidays.   I knew that there was something those people at church had that I didn’t have, but I guess I wasn’t really ready yet.    In January, I got involved in a Bible study and was able to talk about all that was happening in my life with one of the pastors.    One night, I was still feeling lonely and I was crying in bed.   I started praying, admitted my sins and asked Jesus to come into my life and be part of it.  I didn’t realize right away that my life had changed but since then I know it has.   In July 1999, I decided to be baptized at Silver lake to show my faith.   I thought it would be more significant that my baptism was done in a body of water like in Jesus’ times.   

Since then, I have grown in my faith in many levels.   God has opened doors for me and continues to guide me.   I could have another testimony in telling you about my kids which are a total miracle from God.   I will keep that for another time.

I hope and pray that my testimony will stir something in you and you will come to trust Christ as your personal Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment