Saturday, March 20, 2010

Though Waters Roar

Though Waters Roar

Written by Lynn Austin
Published at Bethany House

About the book
"Thank goodness you're such a plain child. You'll have to rely on your wits."

So went the words of Grandma Bebe. And for all of my growing-up years, I scoffed at the beauty of my sister and what I saw as her meaningless existence. But my wits hadn't served me well in this instance, for here I was, in jail. And while I could have seen it as carrying on the family tradition (for Grandma Bebe landed in jail for her support of Prohibition), the truth is, my reasons for being here would probably break her heart.

So how did I end up becoming a criminal? I've been pondering that question all night. Perhaps the best way to search for an answer is to start at the very beginning.•

Who is Lynn Austin?
Lynn Austin, a former teacher who now writes and speaks full time, has won five Christy Awards for her historical fiction. One of those novels, Hidden Places, has also been made into a Hallmark Channel movie. Lynn and her husband have raised three children and make their home near Chicago, Illinois. Visit Lynn's Web site at http://www.lynnaustin.org/.

My Thoughts
When it comes to historical fiction, this book will bring you through many historical events. From the saving slaves, banning alcohol and women voting, this book will lead through the life of four generations of women who stood up against many illegal activities.

I quite enjoyed reading this book and it brings you back and forth from past to present while also aging the characters with the years and events going on. The book starts during the times when black slaves would flee and be hidden in the Underground Railroad and concludes after the suffrage amendment was passed in the US. Many events happen as you grow to love Hannah, Beatrice, Lucy and Harriet.

If you like history and love historical fiction, this book is a must. You will read about how women got organized to close bars and decided to ask for the right to vote. You will also read about two wars and the damage of alcohol on a family. You will grow to love the characters and wonder what the future will bring for Harriet.

This book can also be used in a book club as a list of discussion questions can be find at the end of it.

This review was possible because I received a copy of Though Waters Roar from Bethany House.

Though Waters Roar is available everywhere even at amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment